08 Apr 12 Simple Ways to Get More Out of Going to Church
Posted at 09:40h in Blog
- Go to church.
- If possible, read and consider the Scriptures for the sermon before you arrive.
- Pray for your pastor, the sermon, and your listening on the way to church.
- While sitting in the church, invite the Holy Spirit to speak to you through the sermon.
- Arrive a few minutes early so that you can collect your thoughts and be present to listen and learn.
- Don’t text, email, surf the net, or do other things that are distracting on your phone.
- Take notes of the sermon which will increase your learning.
- After the sermon and starting with the drive home, discuss with family or friends who also attended what your takeaway was.
- As needed, listen to the sermon again via podcast in the days and weeks after the service.
- Don’t compare your pastor to your favorite famous preacher.
- Don’t come to church with the mindset of a critic seeking to find fault with the sermon.
- Obey whatever the action point God the Holy Spirit gives you.