15 Sep How do you handle your money? (Proverbs)
How do you handle your money?
3 Shovels That Dig Your Hole
Proverbs 22:7 The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender.
- Car debt
- College debt
- Credit card debt
Average American has $38,000 in debt not including mortgage if they own their residence
• Average credit card balance in AZ is about the national average: $6,389
5 Money Personalities
- The Hoarder – money gives me security
- The Spender – money gives me rewards
- The Avoider – money and bills stress me out
- The Hater – money is evil and dangerous
- The Manipulator – money buys me influence/control
- The Show-Off – money gives me status through possessions
- The Giver – money is how I show God and people love
= Money Personalities cause strain in a marriage
3 Perspectives of Possessions
- What’s mine is mine – selfish
Proverbs 1:19 [NLT] Such is the fate of all who are greedy for money; it robs them of life.
- What’s yours is mine – stealing
Proverbs 30:15 [ESV] The leech has two daughters: Give and Give…never satisfied…never say, “Enough”:
- What’s mine is His – stewarding
Proverbs 21:26 [NLT] Some people are always greedy for more, but the godly love to give!
Rich and Poor in Proverbs
·Culture – political war rich vs poor (class wars)
- Church – poverty vs prosperity theology
Proverbs 10:4 [NIV] Lazy hands make a man poor…
Proverbs 28:6 [NIV] Better a poor man whose walk is blameless than a rich man whose ways are perverse.
Proverbs 15:27 [ESV] Whoever is greedy for unjust gain troubles his own household…
Proverbs 10:22 The blessing of the LORD brings wealth, and he adds no trouble to it.
Proverbs 21:5 The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.
Proverbs 15:22 Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
Proverbs 16:3 Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.
- God and Government
Tithe: Proverbs 3:9 Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops…
Taxes: Romans 13:7 Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes…
- Forbes & Wallet Hub named AZ the least charitable state in U.S. (despite Mormons)
Proverbs 22:26-27 [NIV] Do not be one who shakes hands in pledge or puts up security for debts; if you lack the means to pay, your very bed will be snatched from under you.
- housing – usually the biggest expense, roughly 25% of income
- auto – 2nd highest expense (i.e. maintenance, gas, insurance). Half of cars 10 years and older are on the road, and 200k miles is the deterioration point for most metal. New cars depreciate 15%-25% when driven off the lot. Older cars are cheaper (parts, taxes, insurance, tabs) and it is best to buy from friends and family.
- food – lack of meal planning & eating out drive this upward
- debt elimination – women ages 21-34 are most likely to have credit card debt
- insurance (medical, dental, renters/homeowners, disability, life, comprehensive auto)
Proverbs 30:25 Ants are creatures of little strength, yet they store up their food in the summer…
Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.
- 6 months of your expenses in an accessible account,
- 2nd account saving for large upcoming purchases
Proverbs 13:22 A good man leaves an inheritance for his children’s children…
Proverbs 27:23-24 Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds; for riches do not endure forever, and a crown is not secure for all generations.
- Investment portfolio – college fund, stocks, bonds, real estate etc.
4 Reasons For Christians Give Generously?
1. God takes our worst and gives his best
John 3:16 “God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- Your wallet is God’s scalpel for heart surgery
Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
“Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I’ll tell you what they are.” Former Notre Dame vice-president James W. Frick
- You cannot take it with you, but you can send it ahead
Matthew 6:19-20 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
- Heaven is an investment account
4.Giving is a blessing
Acts 20:35 ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
- God is a generous Father who wants us to enjoy & share with his other kids
- Givers are forgivers who live better lives