18 Mar Real Men: Christ & the Coronavirus Notes
To help you study our sermon series in a men’s group setting, each week we will post notes from Real Men men’s ministry based on that week’s sermon on the markdriscoll.org blog.
Real Advice for Real Men
- As a man we carry a burden for our wives and kids.
- If you lead in work or church, you carry an additional burden.
- Most difficult season of our life.
- Complex Grief
- Past ended, future unknown
- Everything in life changed instantly – city/stage, job, schools, church
- $ future completely unknown
- Moved AZ 5 kids, no job, vrbo
- Tree fell on house
- In past, I had not responded well (fight/flight) health, Jeep day
- My family needed me to carry the load, I needed the Lord to help carry the load
The Holy Spirit vs the spirit of fear
2 Timothy 1:7 (ESV) God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
- Holy Spirit wants you to have 1). power to live 2). love for others 3). self-control
- Demonic spirit named fear wants to rob you of 1). power 2). love 3). self-control
I asked the Holy Spirit
#1. Healthy (food, drink, sleep, weight, exercise, etc.)
#2. Priorities drive decision-making (XN, Husband, Father, Pastor)
#3. Family meetings for general updates, 1-1 age appropriate info & processing/prayer
#4. Wise counsel (vs simpletons)?
#5. Who gets what burden (God. Grace. Friends. Professional. not kids).
#6. Get as much normal & fun on the calendar as possible
#7. Made plans in pencil (pivot vs process leadership)
#8. Lament reality. Run to worst case scenario.
#9. Found God’s people & did life with people who had it worse to give perspective.
#10. Set times for checking Good News and negative news.
#11. Woke up daily to try and do my best to walk in God’s will that day.
#12. Looked for the blessings along the way, including the little things.
Today – many of my greatest fears have come true. I have Jesus, Grace, kids, health, joy, peace that surpasses understanding, keen sense where Home is!