15 Jul The Flesh vs The Spirit (Galatians – 5:16-26)
The Flesh vs The Spirit
1. The unseen realm
- 2 realms; 1 reality
- God has a family in each realm
Angels appear roughly 300 times in the Bible and roughly 90% of the books
- “innumerable angels”, “a thousand thousands and 10k x 10k”
- 2 angels are named – Gabriel, Michael
- Categories angels (archangel, commander), and kinds (cherubim and seraphim)
Higher divine beings -“sons of God”, “the gods”,
- No human body, gender, physical limitation
- No divine attributes or qualities
Seen Realm – the war in heaven has battles in our life as Satan recruits us for coup
2. God Creates, Satan Counterfeits
3. Heaven down or hell up
= ? Religion vs Rebellion – created/heaven vs counterfeit/hell
Rebellion and Religion Are Hell Up
Galatians 5:13-15 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.
Freedom – internal freedom
- Rebellion – “flesh” = you without God – unrighteous
- Religion – “bite and devour” = you without God – self righteous
These 2 spirits war in families and churches
Is there a third way?
= Prodigal son story – 1). Rebellious son 2). Religious son 3). Redeeming Son
Feed Your Deepest Desires
Galatians 5:16-18 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
- Over 300X Bible refers to “sinners”
- Only 3X does Bible “possibly refer to XN as “sinners”
- Over 200X Bible XN saints/holy/righteous
- NOT perfect YOU but a NEW YOU on the path to perfection
Non-XN vs XN
- Non-XN – deepest desires from your fallen flesh
- XN – deepest desires from Holy Spirit
- BLACK LICORICE (college desires)
Works of the Flesh
Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Flesh follows gravity of world system
Sexual Sins – ruin relationship w/self
- Sexual immorality – porneia/pornographic – anything outside heterosexual marriage
- Impurity – any moral filth that separates from God
- Sensuality – lack of restraint, decency
Spiritual Sins – ruin relationship w/God
- Idolatry – someone or something other than God is the center of our life
- Sorcery – spirituality without the Spirit
Social Sins – ruin relationship w/others
- Enmity – hatred not forgiveness
- Strife – conflict, drama
- Jealousy – coveting
- Fits of anger – emotionally untethered
- Rivalries – ladder climbing, unholy competing
- Dissensions – us vs them
- Divisions – 2 visions
- Envy – passive aggressive seethingDrunkenness – can be any abused substance
- Orgies – partying, pornography, sexual sins of various kinds
- And things like these – Junk Drawer
How overcome sins of the flesh?
- Minimization: Try and manage sin to keep it from getting worse. Sin is like cancer.
- Compartmentalization: Try and hide it, live a secret double life, hoping not caught.
- Celebration: Accept it as your new identity and be proud.
- Liberation: Kill what Jesus died for & live free.
Fruit of the Spirit
Galatians 5:22-26 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
- Be a Gardener not a Fruit Inspector
- Character of Christ by the power of the Spirit
John 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me…bears much fruit
God works 1. FOR YOU (cross) 2. IN YOU (new birth) 3. THROUGH YOU (fruit)
Fruit 1). to nourish others making them healthy 2). to be pressed or crushed to reveal
- Love – God’s love for us, in us, and through us
- Joy – in God’s will
- Peace – with God and others
- Patience – seeking God’s timing
- Kindness – considerate and not rude
- Goodness – generosity in our words, wealth, and works
- Faithfulness – reliable, trustworthy
- Gentleness – not domineering
- Self-control – not self-indulgent or out of control
The Holy Spirit is the master key