27 May There’s Freedom for YOU! (Galatians – 2:1-10)
If you are a Christian, you are probably stuck in a prison of guilt, tradition, man-made rules, and burdens that you aren’t even aware of. This week, learn to walk in the freedom that comes by God’s grace through the Holy Spirit. It’s time to get those burdens lifted and beatdowns ended!
College – Catholic, Chill, Charismatic (different, spoke, loved Jesus & Bible)
Big church to the click/second VS India – under tree, start when everyone arrives
Conga Line offering $ = Christians like ice cream come in different flavors
Gospel and Culture
2:1-2 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. I went up because of a revelation and set before them (though privately before those who seemed influential) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure I was not running or had not run in vain.
- Revelation – “God said” – Word from God, Word from person, angel, dream, vision
- e.g. London gal, worship dept
Galatians 1:11-12 the gospel that was preached by me is not man’s gospel. For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.
- God communicates; God’s leaders confirm; Enemies criticize
- Acts 15
Gospel & Culture
- Gospel – message down from heaven about Jesus
- Culture – how people on the earth experience life
= Christianity is always in a culture (Barnacles on Boat)
= When gospel moves from one culture to next, what is gospel vs culture debated
= A means of grace vs The means of grace
3 Gospel & Culture Options
- Multiple gospels for multiple cultures
- One gospel and one culture for everyone
- One gospel for every culture
- Any move – throw some stuff away & pack some stuff
- Don’t let your cultural preferences become your ministry prejudices.
- It’s easier to spot barnacles in another culture
- American gospel – Life Coach Jesus – when I want to win I call Him for advice
- Valley gospel – Country Club Christianity- take vacations from God & retire from ministry
Old Covenant and New Covenant
Galatians 2:3 But even Titus, who was with me, was not forced to be circumcised, though he was a Greek.
TITUS – test case – is he saved?
OT – 613 laws in Books of Law (1st 5 books)
Tertullian (AD 160–222) Martin Luther (1483–1546), Westminster Confession of Faith (1646)
- Ceremonial laws—priesthood, circumcision, sacrifices, temple, etc.
- Civil laws—theocratic government over Israel
- Moral laws—rape, stealing, murder, etc.
- Abraham – Gentile, saved by faith, circumcised (sign)
Timothy – mission to Jews, got circumcised to access synagogue to evangelize
- Jews like access to Israel
Titus – mission to Gentiles, did not get circumcised,
- Gentiles like a Turkish airport – no one is checking
= ISSUE – not do you have a body circumcised by man, but a circumcised heart by God
Christians and Counterfeits
Galatians 2:4-6 Yet because of false brothers secretly brought in—who slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery— to them we did not yield in submission even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you. And from those who seemed to be influential (what they were makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)—those, I say, who seemed influential added nothing to me.
- The governance war started in Heaven
- Satan goes after the head/leader (God, Adam, Peter, Paul)
- Satan works from within – angels, Judas, “false brothers”
- False brothers – cannot find a real NT church, all watered down, not God’s way
- Auditors and inspectors
- Spiritual – They become your rule making master, not led by Spirit
- Psychological – Fear, anxiety, uncertainty
- Cultural – your subculture becomes a prison not a home
= Church Hurt
Messages and Messengers
Galatians 2:7-10 On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised (for he who worked through Peter for his apostolic ministry to the circumcised worked also through me for mine to the Gentiles), and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.
Peter – #1 disciple to Jews stayed in Jerusalem
Paul – to Gentiles on the move
Barnabas – “son of encouragement” – gift of faith loved Gentiles
- God’s Laws & Your Conscience
(alcohol policy first church)
- Closed Hand & Open Hand
- Message & Messengers
- Gospel & Culture
(when collide, culture changes not gospel)
- Principles & Methods
(family left church over schooling)
- Cousins & Twins
(churches and Christians)
- Teach & Tolerate
- Unity & Uniformity
Jesus Matthew 5:17 17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
- High School/College – graduation requirements, fulfilled, walk diploma, freed to move on & never come back (JACKET)
You are free to walk in grace, the Spirit, & freedom
Stay or leave
Go to bathroom or hold it
Worship – stand, sit, raise hands, kneel
Communion – take or not, juice or wine